Setup for Andorid Phone to not Lock when Connected via Bluetooth in Car

About 6 months ago I got new bluetooth headphones, and when I connected them for the first time it asked me if I wanted to add it as a trusted device.  I did and fell in love.  I thought it was pretty cool that once the headphones were connected I no longer needed to enter the password.

I kept trying to do the same for the already connected bluetooth devices in my car,  but was not able to find the proper settings.

Recently, I took a more serious interest and found a couple of articles on Google on how to do this. Most of them explained the final step, but not how to get to it.  Trying to search for a trusted device did not give me the options I wanted.  So here is step by step guide.  Please make sure your device is currently connected to bluetooth and to the device you are trying to link (for example your car), otherwise step 6 will not work, and you will have to start from the beginning.

The examples below are for Samsung Galaxy S5 running Android version 6.0.1 (marshmallow)

1. Go to Setting and search for security:



2. Scroll down to and select "Smart Lock":


3: Log in (I had to do it using the fingerprint scanner) and Accept the Agreement:


4: On the next screen choose trusted devices:

5: Select Bluetooth:

6: Make sure your device is currently connected to bluetooth:
7. You are done!!

Side notes: 
There is also an option to add it for "Trusted Places", but this can be a bit more dangerous.  E.g. if you add your house or office as a safe location, chances are if you lose your phone it will be near that location and whoever stole your phone will have access to it fully unlocked.

I know that similarly if you forget it your car and someone steals the car and the phone, they will have access to all your unlocked phone. But then your phone will probably have bigger worries.

Comments